Misaligned teeth can negatively affect someone's appearance, which can result in low self-esteem and low confidence. People with such problems often feel embarrassed when smiling.
Traditional metal braces have long been the most common method of treating misaligned teeth. Despite the fact that some people still prefer them, the popularity of metal braces is gradually disappearing and being replaced by invisible braces.
With this article, we would like to present you with more modern and discreet ways to achieve perfectly straight teeth. We will look at some types of braces that are less noticeable than metal braces. In addition, we will pay special attention to the most advanced orthodontic devices, such as clear aligners that claim to offer greater invisibility and a higher level of comfort. So please keep reading!
What types of invisible braces are there?
Dental clinics in Singapore offer many different types of invisible braces for patients who desire aesthetic treatments. Some of the appliances are nearly invisible while others cannot be seen at all.
How do you decide which braces are right for you?
It really depends on many factors and is usually best determined by an orthodontist. However, before booking your initial consultation, it would be a good idea for you to know what your options are.
Clear aligners are without a doubt one of the most popular types of orthodontics today. Made from transparent plastic, these devices are virtually invisible. Removability is another great feature of clear aligners. They aren't permanently glued to teeth like conventional braces, so you don't have to give up the foods you love.
Clear aligners are available from many different brands in Singapore. They all possess different features as well as advantages and disadvantages. In addition, their price also varies widely.
Later in this article, we will take a closer look at some of the clear aligner brands offered on the market in Singapore.
Clear ceramic braces
They are a great alternative to metal braces. These devices are permanently attached to the front surface of the teeth and are constructed in a similar manner to conventional brackets. The unique feature of ceramic braces is that they are made from clear material, so when they are placed on the teeth they do not easily show up as metal brackets do.
Ceramic braces are usually more affordable compared to other types of invisible braces which is why they are commonly chosen by patients. However, they might not be the best option if you really want nobody to be aware you are wearing braces.
These kinds of devices offer complete invisibility. The lingual braces work similarly to traditional metal braces, but instead of being attached to the front of the teeth, they are placed to the inner part of the teeth.
These types of “hidden” braces can be fully customised based on your teeth model and typically provide very good outcomes. Although lingual braces offer many benefits, they also carry a few drawbacks. The treatment time is typically longer and their price is quite high.
Lingual braces are not as common as other kinds of orthodontic devices.
Self-ligating clear braces
These are also a type of fixed devices that go on the front surfaces of the teeth. What distinguished them from traditional braces is their construction. They use clips to hold the wire in place instead of elastic ties to grip the arch.
In general, self-ligating braces can be made from metal or ceramic material. As you might guess, these braces made from metal can be easily seen by others, whereas self-ligating clear braces are more invisible and do not attract attention.
Most popular clear aligner brands in Singapore
The following are a few of the most popular clear aligner brands, along with their pros and cons.
ClearSmile invisible braces
ClearSmile is a removable clear aligner system that is only available through dentists and orthodontists. These devices are constructed of transparent plastic material, which is why they are invisible to those around you. The ClearSmile aligners have been shown to effectively correct malocclusions in a broad range of cases. The treatment time may vary from six to fifteen weeks, depending on how complex your problem is.
- Invisible orthodontic system. The transparent material used to manufacture the aligners makes them almost invisible.
- No food restriction. Aligners from ClearSmile can easily be removed during eating, allowing you to enjoy all the foods you desire.
- Easy to maintain good oral care. Cleaning your teeth and mouth with these devices is much easier than with fixed braces. You simply remove the aligner and brush and floss your teeth as you normally would.
- Comfortable experience. Devices can be fully customised to suit your requirements. Three layers of thickness are available, soft, medium, and hard, to provide a more comfortable braces experience.
- Shorter treatment time. The treatment with ClearSmile aligners is typically shorter than with conventional braces. A new smile can be obtained in just one year or even sooner.
- Affordable. Clear Smile aligners are much cheaper compared to other clear aligner brands. The cost of the treatment is roughly half that of Invisalign.
- In-clinic aligner system. You will receive a customised treatment plan on your first dental visit. The entire treatment process will be carried out under the guidance and supervision of licensed dentists.
- You need to visit the dental office frequently, usually every 3 weeks. But this is because your dentist must evaluate your progress and provide you with new aligners.
Zenyum is an at-home or direct-to-consumer aligner system. This means you will not need to visit a dentist since the treatment is conducted remotely. This kind of aligner is manufactured from medical-grade plastic which is BPA and latex-free. Though Zenyium aligners have been found to be effective, they may not be suitable for everyone. They can usually correct mild to moderate problems with teeth alignment. On average, teeth straightening takes 3 to 9 months, depending on the issue that is being addressed.
- Invisible treatment. These aligners are transparent, which is why they can be hardly detected by others.
- Easily removable. You can take your device off when eating or brushing your teeth. Therefore, this treatment does not impose any restriction on your diet and it also allows you to maintain better oral hygiene.
- Faster treatment process. It is possible to complete Zenyum treatment in nine months or less. It is relatively quick compared to other orthodontic devices.
- Cost-effective. You can purchase your Zenyum aligners for less than $3000 which is much cheaper compared to clear braces and other high-end aligners.
- It may not work well on more complex cases which require greater tooth movement. Zenyum is also not suitable for individuals who require extractions.
- The treatment may not yield the desired results because it is not planned and directly monitored by a dental expert.
WonderSmile is another direct-to-consumer product. It is made of plastic material and does not contain BPA. In the same way as Zenyum, WonderSmile aligners are most suitable for patients with mild crowding, protrusion or spacing issues. They are typically not able to resolve jaw problems, such as open bite, overbite, crossbite, etc. To see results, you will need to wear the aligners for about 6 to 9 months.
- Almost undetectable. Most people will not notice that you are wearing aligners.
- Stains resistant. It is claimed that this aligner brand is stain resistant. Still, you should not eat or drink while wearing your devices.
- All-day and NightClear aligners are available. You can choose between All-Day aligners, which you will need to wear every day for 22 hours, and NightClear aligners, which you will have to use every night for about 10 hours.
- Quicker results. The treatment time with WonderSmile aligners is around 6 to 9 months.
- It is not effective for complex cases such as severe crowding and spacing.
- Following the initial consultation, physical consultations can only be arranged upon request.
- With WonderSmile, the teeth straightening treatment is mostly done independently, just by yourself. Consequently, there is always a chance of not getting the outcomes you desire.
Invisalign is a popular clear aligner system that is available through doctors. On the other hand, it is also one of the most expensive orthodontic devices on the market today. The product is made from medical grade plastic to provide a high level of comfort. It can treat a wide range of dental issues such as crowded and crooked teeth as well as mild and moderate cases of overbite and underbite. Invisalign treatment can be completed in as little as six months, but it can also take two years. It all depends on the severity of your problem.
- Aesthetically pleasing appearance. Invisalign aligners are almost undetectable. Their gloss is less intense than other clear aligners.
- Removable aligner system. You can easily take your Invisalign braces off whatever you need.
- Better comfort. Invisalign aligners are manufactured from a high-quality material to straighten teeth without causing any discomfort.
- Fully customized treatment. Invisalign treatments are planned and monitored by an orthodontic specialist at a dental clinic. Your doctor is able to evaluate your progress and provide an estimation of the final outcome.
- Price - This brand of invisible aligners is quite expensive in Singapore. An average fee is between $5000-$8000 and up to $9000 for more complex cases. So if you want to undergo Invisalign treatment, the cost might be something you want to consider.
- This type of orthodontic treatment may not be appropriate for people with severe misalignments that need more teeth movement.
How much do invisible braces cost in Singapore?
The cost of invisible braces and clear aligners in Singapore can vary greatly starting at $2500 and going up to $9000. The most significant factor that goes into pricing is the type and brand of the teeth-straightening device you choose. The complexity of your dental issue can also greatly affect the cost. Moreover, the prices of invisible braces vary widely between different dental clinics in Singapore.
Average costs of invisible braces in Singapore
Types of braces and their price in Singapore
- Lingual braces: $8000 - $10500
- Clear ceramic braces: $4500 - $7000
- Self-ligating clear braces: $6000 - $7000
- Clear aligners: $3000 - $9000 (depending on the brand)
Average costs of clear aligners in Singapore
Clear aligner brand and price in Singapore:
- ClearSmile: $2500 - $5000
- Zenyum: $2500 - $3500
- WonderSmile: $2500 - $3000
- Invisalign: $4000 - $9000
There are many dental clinics (but not all) in Singapore that provide free consultations. Additionally, you may be able to lower the cost of your braces by using your insurance. However, you first need to make sure your plan covers orthodontic treatment. MediSave generally does not cover these types of dental treatments.
In-clinic aligners vs. at-home aligners
When it comes to teeth straightening with clear aligners you basically have two treatment options. The first way is to get an at-home aligner kit and have a remote treatment without visiting the dentist. The second one is to go to a dental clinic and have your treatment performed by a dentist accredited by the Singapore Dental Council.
There are many people who are tempted to try at-home aligners not only because it is an easier method but also because it is cheaper. However, it might not be a wise decision. Teeth straightening is a medical procedure, not something you should attempt on your own. Thus, in-clinic aligner treatment is always the best bet. When you choose the right dentist who has extensive experience in dental services, you can be certain that you'll receive high-quality dental care.
At a dental clinic, you'll be thoroughly examined and evaluated before your treatment begins. The dental expert will create a treatment plan that is tailored specifically to your needs. Additionally, you and your provider can discuss all of the pros and cons of the different types of clear aligners. Dentists and orthodontists have a more unbiased opinion than brand representatives do. Moreover, if you are in pain or if you experience any issues during the treatment, you can always visit the clinic.
At-home teeth straightening always has a chance to go wrong, which could lead to worsening of the problem. Only licensed dentists and dental practitioners can evaluate all possible risks associated with treatment. If you'd like to learn more about the topic, we've written a detailed article on aligners vs braces.